Monday, May 5, 2014

Vintage Goodies

 
 
 A few years ago I was introduced to the joy that is the vintage educational film. Thanks to YouTube and the Prelinger Archives many of these little gems are available for our viewing enjoyment. Most of these are from the post-war era of the late 1940's through the 1950's, and generally they were made for junior and senior high school home Ec. classes. And they are lovely. The vintage clothes and décor alone make them worth watching, but I have actually found a fair amount of wisdom in the earnest, old-fashioned advice given in these films. And so I thought I would occasionally share one or two of the best that I've found with you. Enjoy!
 
Today I thought I'd share three of my absolute favorites:
 
This first just might be my very most favorite of them all. It is a short video from the late 1940's on good grooming habits, full of great advice from a far more fastidious age.
(Click title if video won't play)


 
 
The second is a nice overview of some basic cooking terms-- some of them so "basic" that I didn't know what they meant exactly until a few years ago!
(Click title if video won't play)

 
 
The third film is a preview of sorts of the topic of my next post, so stay tuned.... (and check out the patronizing narrator!)
 (Click the title if video won't play) 
 


No comments: